16.12.08

Burrito night




A popular but broken record on the East coast is the lament for a good California burrito. It was basically all I ate when I lived in SF for six years, well, that and Tu Lan, the Vietnamese pearl of 6th and Market.

So last night we had a bash at some home made burritos. The black beans are apparently Oaxacan in style. They're simmered from their dried state for about 2 hours with garlic, onion and avocado leaves. The salsa verde was made from these smaller tomatillos that I got at the lovely Mexican store on Grand at Humbolt. I can't remember what they are called...but the woman who runs the shop tells me they are less tart that the bigger tomatillos. I didn't cook them, just threw about a pound of them in the food processor with a clove of garlic, 2 spring onions, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp vinegar, 1 bunch cilantro, 2 jalapeƱos. We then cooked off some fresh chorizo and chopped it, so the full burrito had the beans, rice, salsa, chorizo, avocado, cheese. Not quite SF, but still great.